Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Bars and Comets

I went drinking with people I barely know the other day.  I'm with them, but only for setting up this convention.  Then we part ways.
We started on city walk, at Universal, and ate at Jimmy Buffets (who I'm pretty sure is an alchoholic).  We then proceeded to the hotel bar where I cruised on a beer from my room and ordered a gin-and-tonic (my beloved drink of choice).  The guys were getting a little antsy so we decided to check out a dueling piano bar called Howl of the Moon.  It was prett fun, and we got them to sing the only song that matters, "Sweet Child OMine" by Guns n' Roses.  After this song was over, I'm about knee deep in some gin-and-tonics and feeling pretty damn saucy, so we stagger to a latino dance club.  There was quite a bit of dancing going on, but all of it was on the tables.  Well I was getting jealous, I wanted to dance too!  This lead to a guy telling me I can't dance on the tables, only employees.  And now having a taste of some of dance, I only wanted more.  So we headed to a hotel with the same name as our hotel, but a totally different building (I learned this from the prior night) and hit up its disco club.  It was pretty awesome.  This couple kept buying me drinks as they tugged on my mustache, and a 50+ year old lady taught me some salsa moves while my friend danced with her daughter.

Ok, let's turn this shit around with a little friendly science

Have you ever sat down and thought about comets?  You've probably seen Deep Impact or Armegadden, but those movies only show those pipsqueak comets.  Just imagine a comet the size of earth, yes this wouldn't be catagorized as a comet any more, but bare with me.  I've been reading a lot about Nemesis hypothesis lately.  Nemesis theory is the idea that thier is a planet four times the size of Jupiter in the Oort Cloud, really cold region on the outskirts of our solar system, that uses its gravitational force to sling comets into our known solar system.   It's the logic currently being developed to understand where comets even come from.  It also sounds pretty crazy to think that there might be an even larger planet than our now eight, and it hasn't even been discovered yet.  It's also fun to think planets getting out of alignmnet by unknown forces and creating a cataclysmic chain-reaction of chaos in the cosmos.
Currently we've go the WISE and the Hubble Space telescopes trying to pin-point it so we might know the awesome truth soon.

Pic of the day:
Here's a picture of one of my many giant burrito creations so you guys don't think I'm full of shit.  It's a curry potato one!


Question of the day:
Which one would you rather ride by sadle?  A kraken, humming bird, manta ray or killer whale.

1 comment:

  1. it would be hard fitting a manta ray with a saddle, but somehow I feel like it would provide the smoothest ride. humming bird would dart around too much, and the other two are just too big.

    ReplyDelete