Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Laziness and Scripts

Hey.

I had an enlightenment moment today.  I was eating a no-bake cookie and glossing over an internet article about computer patent wars when I realized I've been a lazy piece of shit lately.  I realized how much I complain about my current situation in life and stress about the impending future, but don't do anything, or almost anything, about it.  I half-ass things.  I start something, but don't finish it.  I write scripts, but don't film them.  I study for the GRE, but don't take the test.  I watch TV, but never get past the second season.  I think it's about time to finalize something worthwhile.  To stay focused and craft something from start to finish.  It's time to grow up and be awesome.


Talking about scripts, David and I have been working on a couple of them.  One is a dark comedy about kidnapping, and the other is about samurais.  I know, pretty deep shit.  We haven't finalize any of the scripts, but the dark comedy, after some dialog rehashing, is almost ready to film.  But we need people, props and a place to shoot.  We're being doing auditions soon for the parts, we've got a couple people in mind.  We also need an old-style diner to shoot the film, you know, the one with checkered walls and those bars with the cute, red seats that spin.  If you know of that kind of place, let us know.  The samurai film is just in its beginning stages.  I fill you in with more details as they come.


Ok, recipe time!  This week's recipe is a simple one where you can substitute, and create something totally different tasting.  It is also a good recipe for those tiring days at work, where you get home stare blankly in the fridge looking for something quick to make so you can completely be useless for the rest of the night (not a bad thing).  Ok, now feast your eyes on simplicity.

rice parts
1 cup of rice
2 cups of water
1 tsp of salt

sauce parts
1 carrot (diced)
1 potato (cubed)
1/2 onion (diced)
1 tsp of marjoram
1/2 tsp of mustard seed (ground)
1 tsp of salt
1 beef bouillon cube
1 cup of water
1 large tomato (diced)

Throw rice ingredients in steamer and flick it on, or add parts to a pot, bring it to boil, and then simmer with lid on for about 22 minutes or so.

To make the sauce,  add onion, carrot and potato to a pan with olive oil on medium heat.  Saute for about 7 minutes, or until the onions begin to brown.  Now add the spices and cook another minute.  Then add water and bouillon.  Bring to a boil on high heat, mixing to stir in beef bouillon.  Next lower heat to a simmer, add tomatoes, and cook until half original volume (about 10 minutes).

Cool sauce and top rice with it.  Good eats!  For future recipes, play around with the ingredients.  Try using chicken stock, instead of beef, or change the spices to be more Chinese influenced.

Question of the day
What is your favorite band from the 90s?

2 comments:

  1. dude, Denny's in Bentonville is set up in the old style. shit-tons of chrome. you might check it out.

    also, power to you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you'd answer my text message from days ago :P and cook for me...awesome to the script, and you are awesome..strangely awesome.

    ReplyDelete