Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Summer and Spain

Hey.

It's been a great summer so far.  I've been enjoying the sunshine while it's here and taking lunches to bike ride and evenings to garden.  That right, the sun is up and my garden is reproducing.  So far I've plucked three squashes, one cucumber, and one zucchini.  There is also a shit load of tomatoes about to turn red, just waiting for those suckers.  And like always, with happiness comes a tear, my pepper plants are dying.  I don't know what to do with them.  I water them, I care for them, and even sometimes sing outside, but they just won't grow up.  Little stubborn punks.


Lately, I've been obsessed with Spain.

Been reading up on it's culture, some of its history, but mostly its cooking.  A good Spanish dish is an amazing and simple creation.  It lives without too much complication or spices unlike it westbound neighbor Portugal.  I've only reached the middle of the country, by the Castiles and the oh-so-well-know La Mancha, home of the Don Quixote.  It's been a pleasant trip, and enjoying it in Arkansas allows me to not endure the noxious weather luring in its homeland.  You see, while we enjoy a nice well-rounded four seasons, Spain sits through a nine month winter and a hell-like three month summer.  The lands of Castile, both north and south, are also surrounded by large mountain ranges and many meagre, almost baron communities, unlike its famous Madrid.  Madrid is the screwball virgin in the whore house.  (Not really sure why I used that analogy; maybe it's the fact that I've been watching a lot of Game of Thones where whore houses are very popular). Anyways, the crossroads of Madrid is a cultural gangbang of culinary pleasures.  A fancy hotdog.  Ok Bob, enough with the comparisons.  For the rest of central Spain, food is not about eccentric plating or something to talk about, it's about keeping the common warm through the harsh winter or cooling him during the summertime. It's about a nascent tomorrow, making dreams for it and pursuing them again and again because you are alive and can do it.  Here's a little taste of that realization with soup.

Sopa de Ajo (Spicy Garlic Soup)
Ingredients:
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 1/2 tbs of chopped garlic
1 1/2 cup of coarsely crumbled bread
1/2 tsp of paprika
3 cups of water
1/2 tsp of salt
1/8 tsp of cayenne
1 egg, beaten (or not)

Instructions:
Get a small sauce pan, add olive oil, and warm it up on the stove on medium low heat.  After a couple of minutes, add garlic and cook until it starts turning a light brown in color.  Next add bread crumbs and mix with wooden spoon.  (You don't have to mix with a wooden spoon, but it does feel more authentic).  Make sure you don't burn the bread, constantly play with it.  Once it looks toasty, add paprika and mix it with the breadcrumbs.  A minute or less later, add the water, cayenne, and salt.  Mix it up and bring soup to a boil.  Once at boil lower temperature and simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes.  When the time goes off, swirl the soup around with your mixing utensil of choice, making sure all the bread is broken up.  Take pot off heat and slowly mix in beaten egg, stirring constantly to ensure it does not curdle.  (An alternative option is to add a full egg to the pot and poaching the egg).  Now pour the soup in a serving bowl and present to hungry people!


Question of the day:
What is your favorite type of firework?

4 comments:

  1. Bob! Make paella! And Spain is amazing. I loved it a lot. Granada was my favorite place to go. The food I ate there (with the exception of paella and breakfast foods) wasn't that great. It was probably the restaurants we went to. The soup looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog. Bob log. DJ Bob & Tall.

    I'm glad your garden is still kickin' it! Last time I talked to you it was all flooded and sad. Mine isn't the greatest garden ever, but considering how little effort or research I've put into it...it's pretty bumpin'! So far I've only had six radishes and two cucumbers, but there are ton of other tiny cukes on the vines. Next year it will be started on time. And epic.

    A: My favorite firework has officially been changed to the sky lantern. Aside from the pollution, it is absolutely great...all peaceful and floaty and glowing...like a little UFO.

    We have a pretty big food budget for Saturday...so if only six people show up that might just be AWESOME. And by AWESOME I mean DELICIOUS. Fancyfoods galore!

    P.S. - You said "whore house."

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Thank you for the geography lesson
    2. Cook for me
    3. My favorite type of fireworks, this year, were the ones that sounded like alien babies and whooshed across the sky like flying saucers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @blacy Paella was my gateway drug into Spanish food. I recently ran across it in one of my food magazine, made the recipe, and was like "that's pretty tasty." But it was wet, and as I now know, it is supposed to be the opposite, dry. So I read up on a bunch of traditional paella recipes, which then lead me to other Spanish dishes, and finally had me arriving at my grandma's cookbook collection.

    @Sarah Oooooh, radishes. I bet those were delicious!
    And yes, the UFO dudes are pretty sweet. This year I got a car with a firecracker engine and a decal on the side that read "Big Spender".
    Looking forward to seeing you guys Saturday!

    @Treas Alien babies! You've been watching too much Sci-Fi. I bet you want me to cook some kind of child or meteorite alloy, well I'm not doing it! jk

    ReplyDelete